Monday, April 5, 2010

Wikipedia and reference tools

My weekly musing for CPL's 2.0 assignment is to reflect on Wikipedia. I will confess to having used Wikipedia as a reference source (and I do use "confess" here in the full sense of the word), as did Sarah Statz Cords, given that there wasn't a pre-existing definition to be found for 'Micro-history' elsewhere. In such cases, wikipedia can be very useful. Definitions and articles can, unfortunately, be altered by anyone, which makes it a starting point rather than any sort of definitive, authoritative or conclusive source on its own, but it can provide readers somewhere to go when they can't find answers anywhere else.

Who am I to write 'encyclopedia' articles, or even edit them? I am reminded of the Groucho Marx quote, "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

No comments:

Post a Comment